Burn Treatment at AFC Urgent Care

Whether or not you can receive treatment for a burn at AFC Short Hills depends on how large the burn is and how severe it is. Third and fourth degree burns should always receive medical treatment from an emergency center. AFC Urgent Care Short Hills can treat all other burns, however. Learn more about the urgent care services we provide and how we can help you today.

Size & Severity of the Burn

If a burn is over three inches in size, you should receive medical care. Less severe burns this size can be treated at AFC Short Hills, but you should always get it looked at to reduce the risk of infection. Any burn that covers more than 3% of your body should receive care for adults. In children, if it is more than 2%.

The severity of burns is categorized by degrees. First and second-degree burns can receive treatment at AFC Short Hills, but third and fourth degree should receive emergency care. Mild sunburns can be considered first-degree burns. This skin is often red, painful but has no blisters. Second-degree burns impact the top two layers of skin. This causes pain and swelling, as well as blisters.

Third-degree burns destroy the top two layers of skin and are often not as painful since the nerve endings are destroyed. The skin may appear charred or white. Lastly, fourth-degree burns can go so deep that they impact the muscles or bones. All burns second degree or higher need medical care. Second-degree burns can be treated at AFC Short Hills, but third and fourth require emergency care.

Location of the Burn

Certain locations on the body can be more difficult to care for or can be more susceptible to infection. Face, hands, feet, genitals, any joints, or burns that go all-around a body part may require specific care. There is potential for them to need special care later down the road to prevent complications.

Complicated burns that are second-degree can be treated at AFC Urgent Care. If your provider feels that your burn may require additional care, you may be referred to a specialist.

Home Care for Burns

If you are unsure whether your burn should receive medical care, it is best to visit a provider. As mentioned previously, all third or fourth degree burns should receive emergency medical care. Second-degree can be treated at urgent care centers. Patients can treat first-degree burns at home.

Some home care includes:

  • Soaking the burn in cool water for five minutes
  • Taking medication for pain
  • Use aloe vera or another type of gel to soothe the skin
  • Use an antibiotic and loosely wrapped gauze to prevent infection or irritation